Utah law is specific when it comes to guardianships. When you file for guardianship over a person, you are creating a legal relationship between you and another person so that you can make legal and medical decisions on their behalf. You can file for guardianship over a child who is not your biological child or you can petition to be a guardian over an adult who is not capable of making their own decisions.

Children with incapacitated parents

Sometimes, parents are unable to make decisions for their own children due to incarceration, drugs, legal rulings, or medical reasons. Filing for guardianship in a situation like this may prevent these children from going into the foster care system.

Children with developmental disabilities

Utah state law states that people over 18 years of age no longer need legal guardians but when an adult is unable to make their own decisions due to disability, it is important that they have a legal guardian to care for them and make sure that they are getting proper care. As certified members of the Academy of Special Needs Planners, our attorneys at Hundley & Harrison work with families to help prepare for their loved one’s future.

Temporary need for guardianship

Sometimes, especially in the case of people with psychological disorders, people need guardians for a short period of time while they attend a mental rehabilitation program. Guardianship will allow you to care for their finances and make healthcare decisions while they get better, and the guardianship will expire once they are deemed able to care for themselves.

Guardianship law is complex and often involves a judge’s ruling to become official. It is important to hire an attorney that focuses on guardianship to represent you and make sure that you are deemed a good candidate to become a guardian over your loved one. These decisions are vital, and having a guardianship lawyer that represents your best interests will ensure that the right decisions are made.

Reach out to us for a private, complimentary consultation.

Schedule your complimentary consultation.

Salt Lake County

10808 South River Front Parkway #334
South Jordan, Utah 84095

Utah County